How I Read: Les Mis

 a) So far, I don’t think I really have much interest in the book yet, probably since it’s not exactly the type of genre I gain interest in, but I guess I can say that I really like the bishop’s character the most so far in the book. He just seems so helpful and kind to others without expecting any kind of favor from them and I appreciate his character for that  

b) The three effects I’ve noticed Victor Hugo used were foreshadowing, indirect characterization, and setting. I noticed how Hugo would sometimes use foreshadowing through the titles of each of the chapters. For example, the title held for chapter six was “Who Guarded his House for him” which helped create a better understanding for us on what was going to be talked about in that specific chapter. Same goes for chapter 8. The title of this was “Philosophy After Drinking.” The title itself was enough to give us information about the chapter we were going to learn about, since it really was about a man’s philosophy after getting drunk. The next effect he used was i detect characterization. Victor Hugo used this technique a lot especially when it came to the bishop’s character. He would describe the bishop’s personality in many ways but majority of the time, he wasn’t being quite direct. For example, the time when we learned about the bishop letting his home in locked for others to enter. He didn’t specifically tell us “yes, the bishop is a kind and selfless man who will do anything to help others,” but instead would kinda just let us figure out ourselves with the bishop’s choices of actions. Last was setting. Hugo seems to go very deep into his descriptions majority of the time when writing about the current settings. Again I’ll use chapter six as an example. When talking about the bishop’s home, he created a description about almost every little thing about the house. He literally talked about the amount of chairs the were in the bishop’s home, as well as how you’d have to go through multiple rooms just to reach his oratory. I’ll be honest, these are pretty good effects to use and I think it helps the reader become more interested with the story. 

Comments